I decide to change
things up a bit this time and come to see how the atmosphere is on a Tuesday. I
park and walk my way inside the building. I order the usual a passion fruit
sweet tea at Starbucks. Surprisingly I see a familiar face behind the counter
and it’s Shelby! She is by herself this time making drinks and taking orders.
There is not too many people so it’s not too much that she can’t handle. I grab
a seat this time more towards the counter to see if I can maybe hear better of
what is going on at the counter.
A few tables in front
of me is a mother with 3 of her young children. The mother Holly has her hands
full with three boys, Alan, Jordan, and Hunter. The family of four seems to be
coming from a birthday party because they have balloons tied on the stroller
and have goody bags in their hands. The kids seem to be worn out because Jordan
the smallest boy out of all three of them fell asleep on the stroller. Holly
decides that it’s time to head home and gets all their stuff together and heads
towards the exit.
Meanwhile I turn my
head towards the bookstore and I see Shelby at the customer services desk and
she seems to me scanning some books in while at the Starbucks counter a new guy
has taken her place, Ben. This is
surprising to me because I did not know that Barnes & Noble employees had
the opportunity to switch jobs from working at the bookstore to the Starbucks.
Which is pretty neat because then you don’t get bored of just doing one thing.
Shelby is checking books in and doing her job at the bookstore. There are a
couple of people going around the bookstore but what I hear the most is children’s
laughter from far away which is pretty loud. This makes me conclude that there
is a couple of kids playing in the children’s reading area. They are getting
pretty loud and you would expect for the parents to settle them down since it
is a reading area but no the kids keep on laughing and playing around.
As I turn my head I
notice the Shelby is gone from the customer service desk. She is now at the
Starbucks helping Hunter with the drinks because many more customers have
arrived. There is this young lady, Janet, who seems to work here at the counter
ordering. She is taking a while because she has quite and order of drinks which
im guessing are for her co-workers. She has ordered 2 vanilla Frappuccino’s,
and 2 iced mochas. She heads to the end of the counter and waits on her drinks
while Shelby takes more orders from other customers. As Shelby moves the line
further down Janet’s drinks are ready and she heads out with all four drinks. Before
you know it Shelby and Hunter have gone through the line and have given all
their customers their drinks.
Later on though Janet
returns and tells Hunter that this is not the drink she had originally ordered.
She got an unsweetened iced mocha instead of a sweet mocha. Hunter apologizes
and gives her a brand new drink. Janet accepts the apology and heads out once
again. Now that there is no line Hunter leaves Shelby on her own and heads out
for the day because he hangs his green apron. Shelby is just hanging out for
now but then she soon gets overwhelmed because the line starts to build up
again. Shelby is doing her best but she knows that she needs someone to help
her. She doesn’t call for help and continues to do her best to take orders while
at the same time making the drinks. As for me it has now gotten late and I head
out. Interesting Tuesday I would say.
No comments:
Post a Comment