Ethnography

Ethnography

October 5, 2014

I saw a dog today

I don't know what's going on with my apartment, but it's horribly stuffy and miserable at least in my room. They told me when I moved in a few weeks ago that the air conditioning didn't work, but they  got it fixed. So, I assume it works. It's just my room that is grossly hot and I think it's because my window faces the sun for literally all day. Also, I didn't leave my room yesterday. I have horrible social anxiety and I actually just sat in front of my refrigerator to cool off because I definitely was not going to go outside. I promise there's a point to this. ANYWAYS, I went outside to my field site today and it was really pleasant. I went on a pond hunt because the Duck Pond is pretty boring. So far I have found three ponds. The one I visited today is the nicest I've been to.

When I got there, I immediately liked it. The pond is huge, and its clean! I walked around it, and over the bridge until I got to a nice spot under a tree. It was so much cooler and breezy. I sat down for awhile with music on through my headphones, and this spot actually had little clovers. I brought these turkey pinwheels I made, and it was really enjoyable. I want to come back on the weekends.

People kinda just do the same things at a park/pond. I know I said this last time, but they just kinda sit around with each other and talk, and fish. But here there's actually fish, and you have to have a licence to fish unlike the one at school where I saw this sketchy homeless-looking man fishing and caught this tiny fish and I really don't think you're supposed to do that? Like I see people fishing but I don't think there's actual good fish in there.

But yes, groups of people, mainly families are hanging out there. Someone was trying to fly a kite, people where essentially picnicking, and a couple people had dogs, or were walking dogs. One guy though decided to be super lazy and drive his truck to the edge of the pond. You're definitely not supposed to drive your truck on the park, when has that ever been legal. Is that legal? Then he drove it off down the walkway.

I like that there's a bunch of palm trees too here. I walked around the perimeter just because I couldn't sit still for very long. I think I may have come on a day where everyone decided to have a birthday party. There was a bouncy castle in one area, and at least two or three other large groups with coolers and things. It was a bit awkward coming by myself because everyone was in such a large group rather than the mix of groups and people just walking or sitting by themselves. I should have come in running clothes because I wanted to just jog around instead of walk. I probably would've looked more normal.

But it's a really nice park, and it has it's own website that's how I found it.

QM


No comments:

Post a Comment