Ethnography

Ethnography

October 5, 2014

The Oddly Dressed Man

I attend another NMSU game on a hot weekday afternoon.  The crowd was wearing the usual entire on a hot afternoon, which usual consist of shorts and an Aggie T-shirt.  However one man stood out amongst the crowd.  This man was around the age of 35 with short black hair and not facial hair sat off toward the side of the main stands and was wearing what I consider a rather strange and peculiar outfit.  He was wearing a pair of conscription sunglasses and an old tattered long sleeve shirt.  He also wore badly tattered khaki shorts, where the holes and tears where showing very clearly what was under them.  The man also wore a pair of heavy cotton sweat pants under his khakis.  The only thing I can deduce why he was wearing these tattered shorts was for there pockets.  I am assuming his cotton sweats did not have pockets and that is the only reason I can think of for him to be wearing this combination of clothes.  On that day, temperatures was easy in the high eighties, yet he still wore these heavy hot clothes.  However, the man did wear am open brim sun hat and a pair of leather sandals, which I didn't find consistent.

During the game, the oddly dressed man didn't seem to act differently than anyone else in the crowd.  When the crowd clapped and cheered about the soccer game the man would also clap in-sync with everyone else.  The man did talk to anyone around him or cheer for anyone during the game.  At half time the man got up and got some water at the concession stand.  As he walked past the rest of the stand because the concession stands is on the far side, I noticed some other parents and student giving some awkward looks and glances his way, but no one said anything to one each other about the how the man is dressed. ... Until a little five year old boy wearing a super hero T shirt turned to his mother and asked why was that man wearing those peculiar type of clothes.  The mother quickly responded with the response, "I don't know honey" and afterwards quickly diverted the boys attention to some food she just pulled out of her purse.  I do not think the oddly dressed man noticed the boys comment and he kept on walking.  

The man soon returned with a cold water bottle in hand and sat down in the same seat as before.  The man then pulled out his cell phone.  His cell phone was very simplistic and old.  The only two application that could be done on his phone were calling and texting.  I think he was checking his phone for a text message because he was wearing a cheap digital watch on his wrist.  After a couple minutes, half time was over and the game started again.  The man seemed to act similarly to the rest of the people in the stands.  He was quieter  than most, but nothing unusual the way he acted. At the end of the game the man checked his phone for a little bit and seem to file out of the stands like everyone else.  By the time I got out of the complex, I saw the man again riding his bike out of the complex and down the street.  

No comments:

Post a Comment