Ethnography

Ethnography

October 5, 2014

TLC (tender loving coffee)

Sunday October 5, 2014
2:45pm I walk in the café and up to the counter to order. I see my friend Berry working behind the counter. He doesn’t take my order however, someone else does. I order a pumpkin spice latte, Berry comments “Classic white girl drink” and I quickly remark that I have never actually had a pumpkin spice latte. After I finish ordering I stand over by Berry while he makes my drink. I comment on his tie. He, like everyone else working, is wearing a black shirt with a green apron. He however is wearing a black and green stripped tie.

2:53 I sit down with my roommate at a table. She is sitting at a four person table up against a wall, consumed in the work she is doing on her laptop.

2:56 Not surprising the café is very busy. Almost every seat is occupied. To my right at the large conference table sit 4 guys. All have their laptops open and headphones connected from the laptop to their ears. Solely based on proximity it looks like the three at the farthest end of the table may be friends or at least classmates. Three of the four guys have prescription glasses on and the fourth has a pair of ray bans resting on the top of his head.  The three guys at the end of the table, the ones I presume are friends, are each wearing different colored v-neck t-shirts. One with a backwards snapback on wears a dark gray shirt. The other with blonde hair actually has on a nike collared shirt, not a v neck. The third has on a bright blue vneck. Three of the four have Mac computers, the fourth has a Toshiba.

3:07  Behind the counter Berry and his coworker have loud conversations that add to the laid back vibe in the café. They banter back and fourth. Something about how it is Berry’s first day on the job. Berry returns the comment with something about that it is only his first day at this specific location. Berry’s hearty laugh lightens the mood in the café. We make eye contact and he winks at me.

3:13 in two arm chairs and a two person table behind me sit three people, one at each. Closest to the door in the first arm chair sits a guy, my guess is early 30s. On his lap sits yet another Mac computer. He is chewing gum, wears a blue plain fitted t-shirt with jeans. In the armchair next to him sits a girl 22 years old maybe She sits cross legged, shoes off reading a book of some sort. She looks at the guy next to her, they converse about something and both get up to leave together. In the table next to where the girl was previously sitting sits a young man with his mac, headphones plugged in. He has on a hat with some sort of pattern. A pink button up that is open revealing a grey shirt underneath, jeans and flip flops. Along with his computer he has his tablet out and looks back and forth between the two.

3:21 at a tall table alone sits yet another owner of a mac laptop. Along with many others in the café he too has his headphones in and his iPhone lying next to him.

3:31 MALE: 10

              FEMALE:  5 

**names have been changed to protect individuals privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment