Ethnography

Ethnography

September 21, 2014

Fry Taco Friday

It’s a pretty quiet Friday night and I’m once again en route to my field site. I notice that I’m the only person walking in the streets. The temperature outside is pretty warm and the skies are clear; plenty bright stars can be seen shimmering like distant candle lights.

                As I’m approaching my field site I could easily observe that the restaurant was fairly empty. I open the door and the usual sensor on the door goes off to alert the staff that a customer has entered. ‘Wayne the waiter’ approaches the counter from out back in the kitchen and is glad to see me once again. I order the number two on the menu and the usual medium size tamarind juice. I then walk over with my tamarind juice in hand to one of the tables on the left side of the building and try to get my usual vantage point.

                There was only one other customer along with myself inside the restaurant. I could observe him munching away on a burrito but he didn’t have a drink. It was a really quite night at the restaurant; the television was probably the only thing that could be heard. There was no noise coming out the kitchen and the drive thru seems empty. Wayne the waiter signals that my food is ready and I walk over to get it.

As I walking back to my table I heard the sensor go off again and I observed a Caucasian guy, probably in his twenties enter. He ordered two number sixes’ and remained at the counter conversing with Wayne. He and Wayne seem to know each other and they were busy speaking about his band. He seemed to be in a hurry stating that he was just stopping by to get some food before his gig later on in the night.

At this same moment I stuffed my face with my fried beef taco. The usual rice and beans with shredded cheese was there. The main aspect of the plate was fried corn tortilla stuffed with beef and vegetable sauce. A family of four, two little boys, mom and dad walk in. They were all of Hispanic descent but spoke English. The two boys also spoke English and were constantly playing at the table. They also ordered burritos like the first guy. Seems like the burrito is very popular with the customers at the restaurant, I guess it’s going to be my choice the next time about.

There wasn’t any music as usual but the television was once again showing the local news. The headlines seemed to be about a guy who was shot here in Las Cruces by the Police after leading them on a high speed chase. At this point in time everyone was focused on the television because of the nature of the incident. Everyone in the room seemed to be in awe and didn’t know what to make of the incident.

I then finished my plate and went over to the counter to get my receipt. The sensor went off again as I walked out the door and back to my apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment